I've just uploaded three fairly heavy updates:
This is the most significantly altered chapter...
- Dropped the Harbinger system. Generally too clunky and too much labor (both to run, and to even begin to playtest) for too little gain. Something may appear later in an optional form, but it won't be a part of core.
- Altered the preserver / defiler system. Again, the previous version was too much work for too little gain. The new system manages to stay mostly out of the way, but still allows for fallen preservers. See the raze sequence in the Spells document ....
- Removed the harbinger powers (see above)
- General pruning and clarification. Some powers have been signifigantly reworked. Some have vanished. Some new were added. Just reread the doc. ;)
- Added the raze spell sequence
Just uploaded a couple of revisions to the Skills and Feats chapters.
The Spells and Magic chapters should be coming out Real Soon Now; just need to work out some final touch-ups, which should be done within the week. Anticipate a couple of changes with that one ...
First, a new announcement, and then two announcements that I should have made about two weeks ago ...
A Monsters chapter has been released for DS3. This is not a full monstrous compendium, but rather a couple of preview monsters, which will be included in the back of the DS3 release, a la The Wanderer's Journal and the first printing of the 3e PHB. A full monsters document is under a Savage Species inspired review.
The second announcement is that Nathan Guest (better known as NytCrawlr) has been accepted as a member of the senate. NytCrawlr has been working on monster conversions, and assisting in the editing of the DS3 documents for some time now.
And the last announcement is that we've found someone to do layouts for us. While we're probably going to keep trying to release the preview documents in a relatively simple, uncluttered form (images tend to make the documents much bigger, fast) the final layout is now in capable hands.
The Classes document has been updated with a new ranger class writeup.
a few updates to the spells document:
- fixed the misplaced descriptions of braxatskin and breathing. (p.18)
- fixed the table for curtain ward. (p.27)
- added reference for energy types for lesser elemental chariot. (p.37)
- fixed write-up in greater elemental chariot. (p.34)
The spells document has been updated, including the long-missing spell list for the Templar class. There should be another update to this document, as well as the magic chapter, before the month is out, revising the Defiler / preserver rules.
Two new articles are available on the articles page: Rules for botanical enchantment, and an unofficial variant rule on the relation of Magic to Psionics on Athas.
As you might have noticed from the last releases, we're getting into the state of working on layout for the DS3 core release. What you see in the Races and Classes documents is about the best that Gab and I can do, neither of us being professional layout artists, and both of us stuck using a sub-standard tool for that job (Word2k) ...
So, if you think what you see in those two documents is good enough, you're probably not the guy we're looking for. ;) What we are looking for is someone who can do layout work for us<0>. End result is PDF document. Source documents are in Word 2000 at the moment, and we can supply a bevy of images to sort through. (Preliminary versions of the documents didn't include images because they increased the file size of the source docs by two orders of magnitude ... no good when you're passing them back and forth a lot.)
DS3 being what it is, you have to be available and willing to deal with changes and the like. This go-round is only a playtest, after all. And I'll want copies of the files used to generate the PDFs, so we're not SOL if you get hit by a bus. ;)
The best we can offer for payment is the satisfaction of seeing your name in the credits ... but if that's enough for you, send a note, and a URL to some samples, to firstname.lastname@example.org ...
<0> I know I've gotten offers for this in the past. I lost my mail archives a few months ago, so, sadly, I don't have any of them anymore. Otherwise, you'd've heard from me a few months ago. :/
The Classes chapter of DS3 has been edited. As I've hinted at, there are a couple of class updates:
- The Bard class has been completely rewritten
- Some heavy alterations to the Gladiators
- New Templar core class
- Psionic combat has been restored to Psions and Psychic Warriors
- Druids cast as PHB druids, rather than as sorcerers
I've also uploaded a new PDF for the Races chapter. There aren't any changes to the content in this, however -- it just looks prettier.
An errata update to Tyrian Conspiracy has been released.
Also, I just uploaded a new short story, "An Athasian Story" by Siri Khalsa. I'm also in the process of formatting another, which should be posted in a day or two ...