Reviled and hunted, hated and feared, they live in secrecy, hiding who and what they are from the rest of the world. They are criminals whose crime calls for swift execution. They are outcasts, with no place to call home. They are wizards, and their crime is the practice of magic?
Beneath the crimson sun, the life of a wizard is hard and dangerous. Blamed for the conditions of the world, feared for the mysterious power they wield, and hated for crimes both real and imagined, Athasian wizards walk in the shadows of a civilization and in the barren wastes of the wilderness. For to reveal their nature is to admit their crime-and risk their very lives.
Defilers and Preservers: The Wizards of Athas details the two paths of magic in the Dark Sun campaign and the strange way magic works there. It demonstrates how Athasian wizards power their magic and describes both types of wizards-defilers and preservers.
Defilers leech energy from the land, stealing life away with every spell they cast and leaving only dead ash behind. Preservers also gather energy form the land, but they take only what they need and work to keep the world healthy and alive. These two mortal enemies stand locked in a never-ending battle-with the survival of Athas at stake.
This accessory presents everything needed to create and play preserver and defiler wizards. It features:
- A discussion on Athasian magic-how it works ,who can use it and what it can do.
- New rules for Athasian wizards.
- New proficiencies and plenty of wizard character kits.
- Rules for the advanced beings-dragons and avangions.
- Information on three new types of defilers and preservers-ceruleans, necromancers, and shadow wizards.
- Details on the mysterious plane know as the Black and the Gray